Precedents

While I researched cultural photographers, such as Bill Owens, I found that the precedents that related to my project were more technique and art based. I chose Michael Bosanko because he uses the same technique of light painting for his Light Graffiti series.

Although Bosanko uses the same technique, there are differences to his approach to mine. He uses the environment to add things which are unusual. Working with the environment framed in the lens, he adds the light, composing new aesthetics into the picture.

I however, used a totally dark room to create my images by painting the light onto a black canvas.

I also researched lots of Maori art and myth and legend stories. There are numerous books which present the gods in human forms, this I believe is part of Maori culture, humanizing the gods gives us a more intricate relationship with them. The morales of the stories and actions of the gods can also be related to society and everyday issues.